Friday, February 25, 2011

February 25: The Helper

Organizing diapers can be such a chore.  Thank goodness we have a very committed big brother to take on this onerous task.  This is one the many things that Hen does to "help" his little sister, and what does she offer him in return?  A sweet smile, a confused stare, occasionally an adorable coo...and this morning, a sore scalp.

Our typical routine looks a little like this: Mike gets up at 5am, leaves by 5:45am.  Everyone else sleeps...for at least an hour longer.  Once Henry is up, however, it's time for the rest of the world to jump to it, or that's how he sees it.  I don't mind being woken up (cha...right), but it drives me nuts when he gets in Alice's face, pokes her nose, speaks at the highest volume possible right next to her ear as she sleeps calmly and quietly.  I've tried to explain that the longer she sleeps, the easier it is for mommy to get breakfast ready, get dressed, prepare for the day etc.  This logic just doesn't seem to stick.  This morning, like any morning, Henry was "helping" to wake Alice up while I hovered over him, shushing and redirecting while attempting to put my socks on and  pull my hair back.  Alice surprised us both when she woke up, looked over at her brother, calmly reached out and grabbed a fistful of his hair.  A startled and upset Henry eventually freed himself from her chubby grip (she is strong!).  He made sure I knew that she had hurt him, said "No THANK YOU, Alice!" and then whimpered "Mamaa, she is not listening to my words!" 

One thing I'd be willing to guess, Henry won't be so eager to "help wake up baby Alice".  My words may fall on deaf ears, but a baby fistful of hair always gets the message across.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS POST! My favorite so far!! :) I could see the play-by-play in my head. so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete