Monday, February 21, 2011

February 21: Toytown USA


Population: 4 (1 easily distracted preschooler, 1 cranky baby, 2 busy parents, up to their ears in messiness)

I was on the phone this morning with my very dear friend, Talu discussing plans to visit our other very dear friend (and new mom to twins) Lulu.  I've just written that sentence and already I feel judged--no, I did not make them up, they are real people and no, those are not their given names, but nicknames given affectionately during our high school years.  I wish I could have been more present during that conversation (sorry Talu), instead, I spent most the 30 minutes or so pleading with Henry to pleeeease put away some of these toys before we are all buried alive.  Apparently his listening ears were not on...not even close.

I am usually very self conscious about mess and tidiness in my home.  I often wish that things were better organized and am very uncomfortable entertaining any guest when I feel like my space is in disarray.  My dad always encouraged organization (I use the word "encouraged" quite generously), but it didn't really stick for me.  I try my hardest to find a place for everything, and to keep everything in its place.  It's just not that easy for us.  Mike and I are what I'd kindly call, "creative", which translates as "people who are so taken with their own imagination and pursuits of happiness that they hardly notice that they can't see the top of their dining room table any longer".

Now that we have kids, we are both much more aware of the state of things in our home, and we do work together to keep our mess small and contained.  The family member that could give two hoots about the joys of a clean and organized home is, of course, Hen-Bo.  Going against my general need to display a picture of order to the outside world, I'm posting photos of the family room.  This mess took about 3 minutes and has only gotten worse.  I honestly don't know where to start.  I'll eventually get everything back to its home, but it will last for about 20 minutes, and then, toy mania once again. If you're in the area, come on in and embrace the chaos.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Q!!! At least its a very colorful mess :) I can't wait to see you soon! Many xoxoxo to your familia!! I love you all so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at his dark hair!! Wow! It's probably the lighting.

    PS Your house is not a mess! Seriously. It's totally normal and I even think about it when I'm there. I've babysat in a lot of houses and your's is immaculate in comparison to some!

    ReplyDelete