Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 24: The Lost Art of Sitting Still




I have two very different kids.  I can tell this already, even though one of them is barely 3 months old.  Hen is a lot like me.  He does not stop moving--unless, of course, he's watching television (last photo).  He is also a bit dramatic and I have no idea where he gets that from (wink-wink).  Little (big) Kitty is more like her dad--laid back and sedentary.  She barely moves.  Not kidding.  When I'm holding her against my shoulder, I have to ask Mike to check her face to see if she's awake or asleep...you can't tell the difference because she is nearly always calm and still and very, very chunky (that last one has nothing to do with how laid back she is, but it seemed important to point out).

The set of photos above was taken this morning with the broken lens camera (I'm still mourning the loss).  These are spaced out over the course of about a minute.  As you can see, the only real movement that comes from Kitty is when she topples over onto her brother and when she yawns.  This is wonderful and hilarious and I adore her calmness. Hen, on the other hand, was never that way, from birth on...he can't stay still for longer than 15 seconds.  He is non-stop busy and it can get frustrating at times, but mostly, it tickles me to have a fellow busy body in the house.  We both like to dance, we both like playing airplane and we both like to whip around the house on his plasma car (weight limit 220...best.gift.ever).

I'm curious to see what that busyness turns into once Henry is old enough to do his own thing.   Interpretive dancing?  Skateboarding?  Speech and Debating?  All Star Football playing?  All of the above?  Will he use his energy for good and not evil?  As for Kitty, I am just so grateful to her for being such an easy and laid back baby, and hope that her ease and sweetness follow her into her adolescent years, at which time I am sure that she will think I am unbelievably cool and will want to tell me everything about her life and will always take my advice seriously and will think that staying home some nights to hang with your mom is "totally acceptable". Hey, a girl can dream, right?

1 comment: