Monday, May 23, 2011

101 and aren't we having fun

I just realized that this is my 101st post!  I feel so impressed and proud, which, honestly, isn't that different from my day to day life.  I have a pretty high opinion of myself.  Not gonna lie.  It's obnoxious.

Since my last post, things have been busy but at a tolerable pace.  Last week my colleague and I shared a "Inside the Admissions Process" presentation/discussion with parents/students in the Gifted & Talented program at the local high school.  The following day was the graduation for the students in the Youth Leadership program that I "support" (weird word choice...I'm the chair of the committee for the program, so I'm not sure what the appropriate active verb would be).  Lots of changes will likely be made to that program in the coming year--expanding to include 7th and 8th graders (currently just offered to 9th graders), will focus more on mentoring & academic success, less on themed sessions/field trips.  Hopefully changes that will enhance the program and allow it to reach more students and have a greater impact over time.

The rest of the week was blurry--Senior Week for our Class of 2011.  Lots of special events and parties, lots of bittersweet exchanges, lots of glasses of champagne.  Holy Hannah, senior week was very "college senior-y".  I even saw closing time at the local bar.  MAN that brings me back.  The last time I saw closing time: Barack was a senator, Britney Spears was bald and stink bugs hadn't yet invaded my world.  Needless to say, this was a special event and definitely one that will not be revisited anytime soon.  I learned my lesson at 7:00am the following morning (or the same morning? I'm still confused...) when Mike woke me up as he left to go play golf.  7:15am tee time?  Douchey move, Mike Boegel.

Lucky for me, sisters were in town and we had a little McDougall rendezvous (minus Mary) at the empty nest.  Speaking of that nest--now that we're all good and gone my parents are redecorating EVERY room in the house.  I'm not even kidding.  Every room.  It has always been a really beautiful home, but now, it's Better Homes & Gardens photo-ready.  Dang! Mom and Dad!  What are you trying to say here?  You had to wait until we were all gone to have super nice stuff?   Are we not capable of living amongst lovely things without ruining them with nail polish, ink or food stains?  What are we, animals?? Thanks.A.Lot.Parents.  (Real life sidebar: Nearly everyday, as we watch our children and pets wreak havoc on our home, Mike says to me "Someday, when everyone is gone, and it is just us, we will finally have nice things."  Ok Suz & Mac.  I suppose I sort of understand.)

McDougall rendezvous was followed by Mrs. Stamm's -- fried chicken, stuffing balls, mashed potatoes and gravy -- **buzz buzz** Alex, what is...hangover food?  Glorious stuffing balls.  If you live in my town and you DO NOT know about Mrs. Stamm's you are missing out my friend.  Best.Food.Evs.

Rest of the weekend was low key.  I brought best-baby to graduation and she wowed people with her pleasant disposition and Mona Lisa smile.  Coy little kitty love.  Hen opted out, he had golf balls to hit...aggressively.  I'm starting to wonder if we might trade in that seven iron for a hockey stick.  Kid can swing.  Hard. 

Quick recap and now I'm ready for bed.  PM is about to turn over to AM and that is something that I do not need to see on this already long night.  So long, farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment