Friday, May 27, 2011

May 25-26: First Massey's of the summer & Stormpocalypse

This has been the most bizarre month weather-wise.  Rainy and low 50's to sunny and mid 80's, torrential downpour followed by perfect blue-skied day and, now, tornadoes.  Feeling awfully "rapture-y" to me.

Wednesday was great--sunny, a little hot during the day, cooling off in the evening.  Blue, bright, wonderful.  Mike had the great fortune of online class, which meant his daily driving time was reduced from 2.5 hours to a piddly 1.5 hours.  ;)  A few minutes before class "began", he casually mentioned that if I was interested in driving over to Massey's, he could be interested in that.  Ohh...OK Mike, gotcha... you could be interested, *wink wink*.

I am never one to turn down the opportunity to get ice cream (see previous post involving chocolate ice cream face).  Hen and I hopped into the car and drove the short distance to our favorite local ice cream place.  Arctic Mount w/pb cups, hot fudge & peanut butter sauce for mom, same w/Reese's Pieces for dad, kid's cone with sprinkles for Hen.
Now I'm not sure if you can see this in the photo, but I was really interested in the Massey's sprinkle color-scheme: chartreuse, robin's egg blue, lavender, fuschia, beige and white.  Beige sprinkles???  Who has beige sprinkles?  What is this, some hip pop-up ice cream joint?  Hen took far less interest in the color of the sprinkles and quickly got to work devouring his cone.  He held onto it so tightly that his shirt got scrunched up under his arms and his belly button got a little air time.

We drove home and continued to eat our treats on the porch in the newly painted Adirondack chairs (yay! Mother's Day!)  Hen finished his kid's cone, wiped his face with the back of his arm, stood up, and removed his shorts.  He invited me to do the same, but I politely declined.  I hadn't finished my ice cream yet, it would be in poor taste to remove my shorts before finishing my dish.  After a little underwear dance party on the porch, he finally agreed to bath and bedtime.

Too young for ice cream, but NEVER too young for dress-up.  She started talking about flux capacitors and all that junk.  Nerdy baby.
Chatting on the front porch--taking a break from the cone.
Underwaaaaaare!!!!!!  "Mama, take of your shorts!!"


The following evening was less picturesque.  Tornado warning and very menacing, dark skies had us in the basement, wearing headlamps and eating cake.  Kitty seemed a little uncomfortable with the situation, but Hen embraced the dark & stormy and was fully on board for a basement adventure.  He didn't want to come back upstairs, but I am fairly certain that this had less to do with his newfound love of the spare-sock filled, musty, dark underworld of the basement and far more to do with his disinterest in bath/bed. 

Once he hit the pillow, however, totally different story.  Out like a light.  Alice was the same.  I was also completely exhausted and fell asleep, until awoken by our VERY loud neighbors.  What is it about a terrifying weather-related experience??  People were overly friendly and far too interested in socializing.  Go back to your quiet existence inside of your own homes, peeps.  I am trying to sleep!  I feel it important to mention that one of these "post-tornado block party" folks was my husband.  He's much friendlier to the people who occupy the other homes on our street.((See "list for summer" post and the bit addressing my poor neighbor-friend-making skills.  I really am a jerk)).

Those happy-go-luckies (including the two older ladies that live next door to us and WAITED OUT THE STORM ON THEIR PORCH--baller) were shivering in their boots at around midnight/1am when things got super apocalypse-y.  I have never heard lightning that loud.  It was really awful.  I wish that the kids had been able to sleep through, alas, they woke up and were stressed and afraid.  Worst feeling.  I wish I could have made that all better. 

This morning--no work due to power outage (as you can tell from this post, the power has been restored), messy streets, sirens all over the place (that's actually normal for Carlisle though) and...clear and sunny skies.  Raaaaptuuuuure...!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Scary stuff, but your depiction of it all was hilarious! Glad everyone stayed safe and sound unlike the crazy~baller on your street. Absolutely LOVE the shades on Alice!

    ReplyDelete