Monday, April 25, 2011

April 25: In Bloom

Remember those tightly closed tulip buds from last week's monster post?  They've found their voice and are now making our home a bit more beautiful.  I would loooove to say that I just have such a green thumb, I planted and nurtured these myself and reaped the rewards of my patience and hard work.  FALSE!  The last thing I enjoy is dirty work, and that includes planting things.  I do love reaping the rewards of other peoples hard work and silently claiming it as my own.  These were planted by the very thoughtful, organized homeowners who lived in this abode before we bought it.

With all of that said, we will step outside of our comfort zone and plant a little garden this summer.  I've already begun preparing the raised bed (that should have been done two weeks ago...whatevs) and am hopeful that we'll get things planted this weekend.  I tried my hand at a plot in the community garden two years ago, but that only ended in public garden shame and humiliation, and a lot of plants that "went to seed".  I still don't really know what that means,  but my super-crazy garden plot neighbor made it PRETTY clear that this was NOT a good thing.  I failed, but like a good sport, I will try again, this time, from the privacy of my own backyard where the only judgment passed will come from my husband and two children.

I don't know why it's been so difficult for me to get on board with gardening.  I love the idea of cooking straight from the garden, and have heard that if children grow food, they will be more likely to eat that food.  I get secret garden envy when I visit the homes of friends and family members, and my parents have been known to grow spectacular gardens full of flowers and vegetables.  My grandfather was the greenest thumb you'd ever meet, I admire those that can commit to gardening, but honestly, the thought of having to do it myself?  CHECK PLEASE!  No thank you ma'am.  I'm really hoping  that this summer will change things.  Keeping a garden feels like something that a 30-year-old would do.  Just to be sure that it stays interesting, I'll be bedazzling my gardening gloves and coming up with as many summer garden cocktails as I can think of.  Fancy drinks and sparkly gloves?  That's my kind of outdoor activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment